Log in

Tegu murder extends to Centenary bank as chapel releases CCTV footage

RIP: Emmanuel Tegu

RIP: Emmanuel Tegu

St Augustine chapel, Makerere has released the Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) footage partially revealing how the assault that led to the death of Makerere University student, Emmanuel Tegu started.

Police earlier claimed that Tegu was lynched by a mob on June 27. The third-year Veterinary student died a week later on July 4 as a result of blunt force trauma, open wounds along the back, multiple cane marks on the back of the right elbow and abrasions along the abdomen and the entire back of the victim according to police post-mortem.

Police, this week swiftly moved in and confiscated the CCTV footage as the church administrators were planning to release it to the media. Police claimed it was still carrying out investigations and that some of the images in the footage were too gross for public consumption.

However, from the chapel's released footage, it appears the actual assault took place away from the chapel premises near Centenary bank. While Centenary bank has CCTV cameras outside and inside its premises, police now says the cameras were off on the day when Tegu fell victim to mob justice.

In the chapel's footage, Tegu is seen holding stones a few minutes past 10 pm on June 27 chasing policemen who had gathered outside the church premises. Tegu, who was clad in a T-shirt and a blue trouser, emerged from the space between Makerere administration block and St Augustine chapel.

In the clip, police officers are seen running around the chapel as the deceased pursued them. Police officers later fled towards Students’ Centre that houses Centenary bank and near Lumumba hall where he was picked unconscious.

Tegu is seen running and jumping through the gardens in front of St Augustine chapel following up the police officers who had ran towards Students’ Centre. In the clip, one of the policemen is seen coming back from the side of the Students Centre.

In the CCTV footage captured from at least four camera angles, it seems the deceased was pursuing a particular policeman he was targeting. What is not known is why Tegu charged at the police and what followed when both police and Tegu ran towards Students’ Centre. 

Police spokesperson Fred Enanga has now put the blame on Centenary bank security guards but did not explain why policeman didn’t bother to rescue Tegu from the bank's security guards.

“He charged at the three private security guards but was overpowered," Enanga said. "The deceased was hit with metallic chairs by guards at Centenary bank. They hit him using the metallic chairs from the visitor’s tent, and it’s at this stage that he cried out for help, which attracted about 10-15 residents from Zone 1 and West Road quarters around Lumumba hall among them were a few youths who joined the private security guards and violently assaulted the victim, whom they suspected to be a thief."

Enanga said Tegu had earlier been found by police constable Farouq Mukose who was on routine patrol behind the main building near the water tank at around 10 pm. Mukose reportedly attempted to inquire about who he was and what he was doing at such an ordinary hour, out in the cold. 

“He appeared erratic and responded by throwing stones at the officer, who fired three shots in the air to scare the victim but kept charging at him. This forced the officer to withdraw and communicated to his supervisor,” Enanga said. 

At least four suspects who include Charles Oyugu 34, Balam Nyeko Balam, 33, an SGA security guard; Johnson Kakuru 24 and Moses Sekitoleko 21, who are all residents of Makerere, have been arrested and charged with the murder of Tegu.


+1 #1 Jonathan Luyirika 2020-07-12 11:58
I think Enanga is defending undefendable police force which is notorious for brutality, corruption, incompetent, nepotism etc.
Report to administrator
+1 #2 Bilton 2020-07-12 23:08
Tegu R.I.P.
Tegu in his personality must have had some items like phones, laptop or maybe money. why was he pursuing a police officer?

why was a police officer running away?
to me i think something was taken from him. what was it?
Report to administrator
0 #3 kabayekka 2020-07-13 06:11
So why was the good policeman rushing to own the bloody thing in the first place?
Report to administrator
0 #4 Lakwena 2020-07-13 09:24
But Afande Enanga should save his soul and be reminded about one of the Ten Commandments, which says: "thou shall not bear false witness".

In other words, after committing the crimes themselves, how many times has the police made false witness against innocent Ugandans?

E.g., after the murder of Afande Kaweesi (RIP), how many innocent Muslims were arrested, frame and tortured at Nalufenya for murdering Kaweesi?

And yet the preliminary investigation indicated that; the gun used to obliterate Kaweesi, his driver and bodyguard; is the preserve of the Anti Terrorism Police Unit and/or the presidential guards, Special force Command (SFC).
Report to administrator
0 #5 Lakwena 2020-07-13 09:47
In other words, Ugandans must be very afraid of our police. to say the least, since 2005 and thereafter Gen Kayihura, the Uganda police is a living evil.

E.g., in 2005, following order from above (Mr. M7); forer IGP Gen Kayihura and then CID Director, Afande Elizabeth Kuteesa; set up false witnesses, framed, arrested and charged Dr. Besigye with treason and rape . That's how evil this government/police is.

In order to scapegoat their own crimes, the police can randomly arrest anyone from anywhere not even near the scene of crime, and pin the crime on him/them. E.g., in the name fighting terrorism, our Muslim brothers have since, suffered a great deal in the hands of Gen kayihura and goons.
Report to administrator

Comments are now closed for this entry